čtvrtek 1. prosince 2011

CHANGES... (travelling and such...)

Oh wow!!! It will 2 months in 5 days from my last post.. :(
Sorry for not updating, but things started turning so quick and time started passing by even quicker.

So to update you on my life...
I have finished my job...
My mom has arrived...
And we are travelling together through India!!!

My last day at work was the 7th of November, which I will be probably celebrating for the rest of my life, next to other important days, such as birthday, Xmass and the day of invention of electricity.. ;)
Since then, I was just being very lazy, spending my time mostly by sleeping, that I didnt get during my work in here and I also think that I got hit by the stress that was piling up from my work. I wasnt feeling good, my body was aching and I couldnt eat that much. Just really shitty two weeks.
I have actually managed to plan the trips with my mom and was just waiting for her to come.

She has landed to international terminal on the 20th of November and then the fun has started.
She brought me some Czech treats to make me feel better, such as Studentska pecet and Salam and we were ready to start travelling...

First two days we were just running around Delhi. I was trying to be a good guide, but it was also a first time for me in many places. We didnt cover everything, but we still have few days left when we get done with travelling and finish our Delhi sightseeing.
I have to say, that temperatures in Delhi dropped quite a lot, so my mom wasnt that shocked by the weather, but she was obviously shocked by the lifestyle and dirt around the city.

To let you know about our travelling plans, I have came up with 3 trips. The first one covered Rajasthan, going to Agra, Jaipur and Udaipur, which was amazing.
The second one is still in progress and consists of Mumbai, Cochin, Alleppuza, Chennai and Andaman islands. (we are currently in Chennai)...
And the last one is just overnight trip to Amritsar in Punjab.

So we have pretty much covered a lot of places in really short time.

The first trip to Rajasthan started horribly. We were taking the famous and comfortable train from Delhi to Agra. It was scheduled for 6:15, so we got up quite early to jump in our pre ordered taxi and catch the train in time. PROBLEM number one: The taxi didnt show up, so I was ordering a different one last minute. PROBLE number two: the train didnt show up. First it was supposed to be delayed by one hour, then two, then three. In the end, we were leaving Delhi at 9:55, 3 hours and 40 minutes late.
To mention really scary thing, we were approached by probably 5 guys trying to scam us. First one before we even entered the train station, that we have to exchange our internet printed tickets for normal ones. (Mom was starting to be really mad). I knew though that this was enough and waved the guy away. He was sending us somewhere in rickshaw to make us miss the train and then probably helping us by hiring a taxi for us to Agra in "great" price...
Then other 4 were trying their luck when Goras, or in English white people, were sitting on the platform, waiting for the delayed train. Many were saying that the train will not come, to go with them and that they will help us finding another train. That always turned out to be an offer for a taxi or bus, since there were no other trains.
After finally arriving to Agra, we have seen our ordered taxi driver, but he wasnt alone, he showed up with a guide, that we havent ordered. But he came with us. Just like that.
We had a great time in Taj Mahal and Agra fort and to be honest the guide was worth the 1000 ruppies that I gave him in the end of the day.
To finish the horrible travelling during the first day, we havent stayed in Agra, but drove to Jaipur right away. It was supposed to be 3 hours drive, BUT there was such a thick fog, that we were able to go only 30km/h and honestly, the driver didnt really look fresh, so I was speaking with him, trying to understand his HORRIBLE english and laugh to his Indian jokes. Not pleasant!!! Finally we arrived to our hotel in Jaipur after 4and half hours.

The rest of the Rajasthan trip was amazing though, covering the Jaipur-Udaipur 450kms by another taxi, 6 hours, which drove me mad, but we made it. The cities were amazing and it was totally worth it.
In the end we took a plane from Udaipur to Delhi in 1 hour and 45 minutes.
From 30-35 degrees in Rajasthan, we were back to 20 and less in Delhi that night, very chilly!!!

We have recovered by spending one day in Delhi and left to Mumbai the next day. Mumbai is huuuge!!!
We have managed to cover only the old part with Gateway to India and some church and Marina drive. We have also decided to take a "short" walk to hanging gardens on the other side of the bay, but we found ourselves, after hour and 30 minutes still climbing up the hill, totally exhausted in the heat and humidity. Finally, after 2 hours, we made it. Not really worth it, but we sat and drunk and ate... :)
The way back took 15 minutes in taxi and 100 ruppies... :D :D
Oh totally forgot to mention a great flight to Mumbai from Delhi with Air India.. huge plane with entertainment  on board. 2 hours flew by so fast!!

The biggest disappointment came the next day, flying to Cochin, Kerala and then driving to Fort Cochin. We have found out that the airport is 45 kms away from the city, so it took good 90 minutes to reach. Then after getting into the desired hotel the taxi driver started yelling at us, wanting a tip and some other money that he didnt explain what they were for. Since we were using a Pre paid taxi stand I told him he will not see more money from me and waved him away. He started yelling even more and I got in to a big verbal fight. It ended shortly by me turning back and getting my key from the room.
We were staying at a old hotel, heritage. Later we found out that they put us in different room that we were supposed to be, cheaper one. Obviously, we knew it right after opening the door. The room was humid and you could make out the smell of mold in the air. The washroom wasnt really clean and when we wanted to change, the hotel was full.
Also Fort Cochin, even though its noted almost in every guide book as a relly nice and lovely city, we found it horrible. Very dirty and not that amusing.
When we were leaving the next day, we were relieved.
What we have suffered in Fort Cochin, we got back the next day. Alleppuza or Alleppi was a great choice. The heart of backwaters, as they say that Kerala is a Venice of Asia, Alleppi was amazing. We ave booked our own boat, quite over prized though, for our 6 hours trip on the channels. It was stunning!!
We also got a little bit of tan, but seriously, great time and relax. The next day, we have rented smaller boat, with no engine, to get to the smaller channels of backwaters. This 5 hour trip was much cheaper, but also not as relaxing. On this trip we went to a small village where we have visited a kindergarden, giveing some chocolates. On the way back we were stopped by a screaming lady. Two cows were thrilled, looking at a spot in the bush, screaming lady pointing at the same direction, shouting some native curses. Then, after five minutes, we saw what scared the shit out of her and the two cows. A huge snake was attacking the cow again and again and then jumped done to a rice field and was escaping fast. So freaky, so long, I havent seen anything like that outside of zoo before.

And now we are in Chennai, we have taken an early flight to Chennai from Cochin airport and are resting today. We have a tour scheduled for tomorrow and the day after the one thing, that Im looking forward the most is coming... ANDAMAN ISLANDS!!!

Will update you while lying on the beach with coconut in my hand, tanning... ;)
And guess what, Im coming home in 13 days!!! yay!! Im so excited!!!
My mom isnt though, back to reality, back to work... 

1 komentář:

  1. Hey Peter,
    Really like your writing. I have been reading your blog. And it amuses me to experience India through your experiences.
    All said and done, people in India are kind and they love to help their guest. Please do not take them otherwise.
    Enjoy exploring India.

    OdpovědětVymazat